Abby's Blog

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Creativity

"I have been blessed by God. And if I'm blessed, there is one reason and one reason only, and that is to help others."
~Akiane

This little girls art work is absolutely incredible. I first heard about her from Kevin Wells last summer. He was speaking on the importance of creativity.

The other day, while you-tubing African mission videos I came across commercials for anti-tobacco companies/cigerettes. I had seen a few on tv and thought they were good so I watched a couple of the ads. They're really mind grasping. For instance in one commercial they have 2-3 people with mega-phones walking around outside a large tobacco company doing generous things for others. (i.e. one man helps and elderly woman out of a taxi cab typical good deed for the day type things) After doing a good deed the person then proceeds to announce into the mega-phone what he had just graciously done.

Then the commercial says "A tobacco company once gave $125,000 worth of food to a charity, according to an estimate by The Wall Street Journal. Then, they spent well over $21 million dollars telling people about it. I guess, when you sell a deadly, addictive product, you need all the good PR you can get."

This commercial caught my attention because it was a creative way of informing people. They weren't just saying the information, they were showing you. It reminded me of the Sermon on the Mount being humble lifestyles Jesus talked about.

Today was election day and I know many peoples' hearts were contending for the abortion issue in South Dakota. I have not heard the latest update with news on that. If this is to be passed it will essentially cause 13 other states to consider passing the laws. This is very good news!! Lately I am awe-struck especially after my Writing 121 class last week where we debated the issue of abortion. There is such a grey area in our American culture. No, absolute truth but a democratic command issuing punishment. I could go on for days writing about my opinions on absolute truth and how our culture does or does not abide by right and wrong values set by God. For absolute truth is true for all people, in all places, at all times.

Anyway, my point being is I wish there was a way to be creative in the ways of acknowledging people on abortion. There are several I can think of. God willing I would love to be able to do the kinds of things they do in the tabacco commercials. Such as purchusing 753 thousand baby dolls and laying them in front of the largest abortion clinic in america. So they can see the amount of life killed. They see what that number really looks like. And that's only the number of abortions had in the gestational age of less than 9 weeks. I'm full of these ideas. Some may be pretty gruesome... But like the truth commercials say "knowledge is contagious."

Okay there's my rantings for tonight. I'm homesick for Kansas City! And Very excited for OneThing! :)

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen!....hahaha

 
At Tuesday, November 07, 2006, Blogger Abby said...

anonymous-
Thanks! Whoever you are!

 
At Thursday, November 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you Abby!

For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Ecclesiastes 12:14

 
At Thursday, November 09, 2006, Blogger Abby said...

hehe, thanks. The first anonymous was Carly!

Who are you? I checked out the bible discernment site you left me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home