Abby's Blog

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

I think people sometimes read the bible in too much seriousness. There's some really funny things that happen in between the stories.

Luke 4:28-30
28 When they heard this, the people in the synagogue were furious. 29 Jumping up, they mobbed him and forced him to the edge of the hill on which the town was built. They intended to push him over the cliff, 30 but he passed right through the crowd and went on his way.

I'm sorry but I find it somewhat humorus that there was a mob of people trying to push Jesus off a cliff and he somehow just "slipped away". This is something I'd like to see in the scene of a movie. Don't get me wrong, I understand the seriousness behind this passage. But I also recognize the humor of it as well.

Mark 14:51-52
51 One young man following behind was clothed only in a long linen shirt. When the mob tried to grab him, 52 he slipped out of his shirt and ran away naked.

What is this guy doing? Too funny! You know this sort of thing probably happened all the time. It's so random and funny and so out of place! If it were any other time it probably wouldn't be as funny! But it's right after Jesus gets betrayed and arrested!

Then does anyone else see the constant rivalry between John and Peter?! It can be pure comedy when you think it through.

I think these things are needed to show that these were real stories with real (sometimes crazy) people.

I sometimes become frustrated with all the seriousness at IHOP! Must be the coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home