Abby's Blog

Monday, February 18, 2008

Praying through the beatitudes 2. Blessed are those who mourn

Okay, so I know it's really lame that I'm not keeping these together. Maybe someday my organizational skills will be more up to par, for you faithful readers. Although I'm not really sure there are any.

Matthew 5:4 - Blessed are those who mourn
*Father, I am so sorry that I hurt You. Please forgive me for my sins. Help me have Your perspective. Let me return to the way You see me and circumstances surrounding me.

This goes along with our theme of repentance from the previous post. :)

*Help me bridal my tongue.

Another prayer that hits with a blow. Speech is by far the hardest thing to control. I had a conversation with my friend Dayna after she had just completed a 3-day speech fast. She said that essentially once she started speaking again it was easier to not talk at all than to think about what you were saying before saying it. I would not give up the revelation I got from my speech fast last September for anything.

As for what the bible says about speech... :) Here's some good verses to pray through when taming your tongue. I typed out my favorites.

1. Psalm
-19:14 - May the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart be pleasing to You, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.
-34:12-13
-39:1-3
-45:1
-64:3
-139:4 - You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord
-141:3 - Take control of what I say, O Lord, and keep my lips sealed

2. Proverbs
-4:24
-10:11
-10:19 - Don't talk too much, for it fosters sin. Be sensible and turn off the flow!
-13:2-3
-14:3
-15:4 - Gentle words bring life and health; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.
-15:28 - The godly think before speaking; the wicked spout evil words
-16:23-24
-17:27-28
-18:20-21 - Words satisfy the soul as food satisfies the stomach; the right words on a person's lips brings satisfaction. 21. Those who love to talk will experience the consequences, for the tongue can kill or nourish life.
-20:15 - Wise speech is rarer and more valuable than gold and rubies
-26:22-23
-26:28 - A lying tongue hates its victims, and flatery causes ruin
-29:20 - There is more hope for a fool than for someone who speaks without thinking

3. Ecclesiastes
-5:1-3
-6:11 - The more words you speak, the less they mean. So why overdo it?

4. Matthew
-12:33-37
-15:18 - But evil words come from an evil heart and defile the person who says them.

5. John 8:26

6. 1 Corinthians 2:13

7. Ephesians 4:29-5:9

8. James
-1:26 - If You claim to be religious but don't control your tongue, you are just fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless.
-2:12
-3:1-12

9. 1 Peter 3:10

*Unacceptance of the state of the world.

This is kind of a strange one that I like to pray. I know the Lord knows that I'm not happy about people being killed, abortion, human trafficking, terrorisim, drunkeness, diseases, immorality etc. The list goes on and on. However I love to pray this because it's clearly positioning myself in a status of "God, I want to partner with you and bring unity to the world through Your Son." It reminds me of whose side I'm on. It helps me to feel like I (through partnership with Him) have authority over these things and that impacts my prayer. It allows me to say "Lord, I am not in agreement with the things of the devil and I will not rest until You come back and fix it all." So it also presses me to anticipate His return more and more.

*Bring speedy Justice and Righteous Judgement.

I love this because I used to fear judgement in terms of I looked upon it negetively. Not because of uncertainty of my own salvation, but because judgement is just sort of a scary word. When in all actuality we want judgement. It's a good thing.

*End abortion
*End human trafficking

These are two things the Lord has put on my heart to pray for the abolishment of.

*Break into Africa
*Break into Israel
*Break into America
*Send revival

It's important to pray for places the Lord puts on your heart.

*Unsaved friends

I've got a list of friends I'm always contending for salvation.

*Come back Jesus. Nothing is right til You split the sky.

It's biblical, we are to pray and fast for His return.

*Help me concur these thought.

1 Comments:

At Thursday, February 21, 2008, Blogger Christopher said...

Okay Sister the whole silent fast very interesting.

I think i'm going to bite my tongue and be silent and think about my words...........

 

Post a Comment

<< Home