Abby's Blog

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Reflection and Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is definitely my favorite holiday because I use it every year as a day of reflecting on the past year and mapping out the course of the year to come. I'm so happy to be home with my family.

I am excited that it is finally the holidays and that this year is coming to a close. Although while reflecting on what happened this year has been fun I am quite ready to move into a new season with the Lord and relationships in my life.

Last year I had these goals:
1. Totally devote it to God. I don't want to mess around with anything finite for this coming year. If it's not pushing me deeper or glorifying Him I don't want anything to do with it.

This, as expected, was pretty difficult. By the Lord's grace I was really able to pursue Him this year not finding much interest in worldly pleasures, however I do struggle, as I think we all do, with being in moments of weakness and attempting to get temporal satisfaction...

2. No dating in 2008. I don't really date anyway, but the principle behind it stands. I don't want to think about boys, relationships, marriage for this year. It's so distracting and by far the hardest thing to give up.

I was correct in my understanding of my struggle in this area. However I stayed true to my commitment to not date, although it was hard at times when opportunities would appear. But I have gone through so much inner healing within my heart this past year. I feel like the Lord has taken me through seasons of waiting, learning to trust, patience (this is not the same as waiting...), not settling but rather desiring the fullness for all God has in store for me. He's so good to me and I am so completely blessed. I just can't wait for what I know comes next! :)


3. I've been working on getting through the entire bible for a year and a half. I'll for sure be done by January. My goal is to then take my new silver metal bible and have 9 highlighter colors representing the 9 beatitudes. Then go through the entire bible cross referencing to the beatitudes.
My identity is found within the beatitudes because my heart seeks to live a life of joy, it's in my name. I find Him and allow Him to find me within this short 9 step plan to happiness. This is my heart foundation.

Not going to lie... I did not start my intended 2008 goal for cross referencing the Bible to the beatitudes. I got too intrigued in other areas and put it on hold. I have however officially made it through the minor prophets, which were the only books I didn't feel too confident in. Then I also had a great study on the book of Psalms this past summer.


So I suppose the point of this post is to say that what I am most thankful for this Thanksgiving is the opportunity to be around amazing people who push me further and further into the knowledge of God. This year has been challenging spiritually. I feel like a completely new person, a more whole person. The Lord is so good to me.

My heart response really for the coming year is honestly to (by His grace of course) live righteously.

Psalm 119:7 - As I learn your righteous regulations,
I will thank you by living as I should!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home